Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stephen R Covey

Stephen R Covey passed on today after he sustained cycling-related injuries some time back. I believe many readers should be quite familiar with this US motivational speaker who authored best sellers like “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” and “The 8th Habit”.


As a person who embraces continuous self improvement, I have read these two best sellers and gleaned insights on some good practices Covey has championed. Covey’s books are not the only ones I have read before; for example, I have read classic self-management books authored by Carnegie as well.


 If fact, Carnegie is the author whose books have really enlightened me when I first read his book during secondary school days. I am a very introverted and somehow pessimistic person during childhood days, his books enlightened me a lot on how to approach life.


Now as an adult, I go on to read more on financial management and do still need some fixes from time to time on positive thinking as my career is not rosy due to management, environment, politics and colleagues; well I should not be in “victim mode” and lament on my poor career here. To quote from a good line from a good book I have picked up: “There is no meaning except for the meaning we give”.


Staying motivated and energetic is easier said than done; hence I always frame my everyday with gratitude and challenge to live every day to its fullest!

Total Pageviews