Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Singapore Chinese New Year 2011: why you should not be happy when you receives $20 in Hong Bao this year!


Singapore Chinese New Year will be upon us in less than 3 weeks time. Before I start this annual post on my feelings, observations, experiments about Chinese New Year once again. I would like to wish all of you, a Happy Chinese New Year!

“There was a time when people said that Singapore could not make it, but we did”, translated to Chinese New Year Hong Bao term: “There was a time when people said that $4 could not make it, but $20 could”.. this is sadly no longer the case now.


Would you be happy if you receive $20 in Hongbao? I will definitely. The usual amount I receive in Hong baos is $6 now, and I think I know the stingy culprits in the form of old aunties or uncles who still give me $2!


But why would $20 in Hong Bao be no longer a Happy thing now? The note is still the same but its value has decreased…. INFLATION, ya INFLATION, possibly the hottest topic of Singapore and the world now!


I think the rou gan this year will be more expensive.. I predict minimum $45 per kg of rou gan because due to inflation.


So the value of Hong bao you getting shrinks? What to do? The solution: make more friends now and visit them when New Year comes!

Total Pageviews