Skip to main content

Day 1 of Chinese New Year (25 Jan)

I woke up at 9.30 am today , surprised that I was not feeling too lethargic despites the fact that I slept close to 4 am last night. I must be feeling enthralled as today is the first day of the Chinese Lunar New Year!
I ate the 'poh-piah' (spring roll) deliciously and freshly made by my mother as breakfast and popped some Chinese New Year snacks into my mouth as a supplement. After that, I caught the repeat television telecast of the Chinese New Year variety show, first broadcasted on Chinese New Year eve, on Channel 8. For this annual variety show, the part which I anticipated watching yearly is the part on astrology for the 12 different animals of the Chinese Zodiac sign.
This year, the astrologer was not the usual guy we see yearly. Hmm, this year, the astrologer gave quite a very bad astrology forecast for most of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac sign, befitting a year of the economic crisis? Anyway, I do not believe in all these talk. If it happens that my astrology for the coming year is good, I will of course be pleased, but if not, I will also not bother much too, as I believe in myself being the creator of my destiny rather than just simply believe and be guided in some superstition. Anyway, I do observe every year whether my animal sign will 'fan tai shui' (offend a heavenly deity). The background of this belief is that come every Chinese Lunar New Year, out of the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac, there will be some animals who will be in direct conflict with a heavenly Chinese deity called tai shui.The remedy: go to a temple and pray to tai shui for forgiveness. Ya this year, my animal sign does not offend tai shui, thus I do not need to visit the temple for such prayer. However I did remember the times when my animal sign was in conflict with Tai Shui. Then, my parents brought me to a temple, where we told one of the temple attendants that we wanted to pray to tai shui. Then, the temple attendant brought me to kneel in front of the Tai Shui statue, uttered some prayers and after the ceremony, the old lady chopped a red squarish ink pattern on my back, just below the head as a mark of 'completion'.
Anyway, coming back to Day 1 of Chinese New Year, after watching the TV show, I visited my dear's house first and then brought her to my home to visit my family. Visiting relatives and family is a norm of the Chinese New Year during which red packets or ang baos are exchanged. In the evening, a large group of about 30 relatives came to visit our family as my father is the oldest child of my late grandparents. We have hardly any seating space for some of them! Some poor kids of our relatives have to contend sitting in our balcony as it was super packed and noisy in the living room. Delicious mees, rice, satays, drink and goodies flowed fast and furious in our house. After almost 2 hours of catching up, eating and laughter, my bunch of relatives left collectively.
After they had made their move, it was about 7.30 pm and the night was still young. I brought my fiancee to River HongBao 2009. River Hongbao 2009 was such a great event that I would dedicate a post to it ... so do stay tuned (to my blog!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vernon Leong Jun Wei

What happens to the 31 year old bride groom, Vernon Leong Jun Wei? As the news of this latest unnatural and bizzare death developed, it seemed that Vernon did not jump from the 24th storey of Hilton Hotel as was believed earlier. There were 3 video camera footages which might prove otherwises for the cause of Vernon's death. The first video footage showed Vernon at the 24th storey, making his way hurriedly into the fire escape staircase. The next video footage showed Vernon at the 2nd storey which also holds some shops and the final footage showed an unconscious Vernon motionless at the ground of the hotel. Vernon was cladded casually in a T-shirt and pants and have left his hotel room while his wife was taking a shower. It seemed that he might be escaping from something or somebody or that he might be chasing after something or somebody. What did Vernon see and experience at his last moments? The police is still investigating the case. It is really a very tragical and sad

Kampong Lorong Buangkok

Amidst the blazing afternoon sun today, my Dear and I made our way to Kampong Lorong Buangkok. The visit was a timely one as there is such a high buzz being generated over the last kampong in modern Singapore. After alighting from Bus 854 from Eunos, it was not difficult to find our way to the kampong. The entrance of the kampong was distinct as you could see from the picture: the 'ulu-ness' (rural charm) is evident from the attap-roofed buildings and more unkempt conditions. A signboard with hand-written text welcome my Dear and I to the last kampong in Singapore: As we entered the kampong, I spotted a middle-aged woman talking to an old man. I had seen the old woman before on TV. She was none other than the owner of the kampong land. In the documentary, I learnt that the whole kampong land was passed to her by her late father. She has kept the land and have not gone on to sell the land to the government. If she were to sell the land, she would be an instant multi-millionair

Performance Bonus

It is the time of the year civil servants receive their performance bonuses (PBs). In the coming two weeks, civil servants will not only receive their performance bonuses, special ‘growth bonuses’, would also await them for the very first time. These PBs and growth bonuses are only applicable to performers, defined as officers with assessed performance gradings above the ‘D’ grade. Typically, civil servants receive their performance bonuses in March, a 0.5 month of bonus in July and a 13th month plus AVC in December. Are all the bonuses good? To be frank, the bonuses dished out in Civil Service are averages at best. With the various bonuses being given out in these months: July, December and March, a civil servant who would like to quit would most likely try to find a ‘suitable’ month to quit so as not to forfeit his bonuses. The December bonus is generally the most generous portion. To quantify for this bonus, an officer would have to be in service till the end of January ne