Sunday, July 06, 2008

10 promises to my dog

It has been some years since I watched a movie and it is even rare to watch a great movie!

So when I went to catch the Japanese movie “10 promises to my dog” (with English subtitles) today, I thought it was just an ordinary movie about some cute animals called dogs, but surprisingly the show reduced an often unfeeling man like me into a cry-baby at the end of the show.

To start off, here are the 10 promises to the dog that the protagonist’s mother requested her daughter to observe before allowing here to keep it as her pet:


Please have patience when dealing with me.

Place your trust in me. Through good and bad times, I will always be by your side.

Never forget that I have a heart too… just like you.

Whenever I don’t listen to what you say, always remember that there is a reason.

Talk to me. I may not understand all your words but I understand your voice when it speaks to me. (In the film: Try to spend a lot of time with me)

Let’s not fight. Remember that I could hurt (bite) you but have chosen never to do so.

Even when I grow in age (and probably grow slow or weak), please be kind to me.

My life may not last as long as yours. Please make every second we spend together count.

You may have other friends, other activities. Please remember that for me, there’s only you.

When I leave this world, promise me you’ll be by my side. Remember all the times we shared and remember always that I love you.

Now the plot:

In the show, the dog first arrives as a young puppy and the owner enjoys his or her relationship growing up with the doggie, but soon as the owner grows into adulthood and immerses herself into the intricate webs of relationships and the demanding work demands, the time spent by her on her pet grows lesser and lesser, though the doggie still remain by her side, always there to give her a helping hand. At times in the movie, the owner would even feel infuriated at the doggie, venting her frustrations at the doggie.

As the doggie grows up and reaches its lifespan of ten years, the owner suddenly feel the remorse deep in her heart for not really spending time with her doggie and not having observed the 10 promises. Well, time and tide waits for no one, the owner realises and bemoans the fact that 10 years passes away so quickly, recollects the many happy memories she had spent with the doggie and regretted not having done even more for it….. having said all this, the owner eventually managed to observe promise No. 10 to her pet: “When I leave this world, promise me you’ll be by my side”

The show is indeed very touching. The 10 promises and the movie plot as outlined above does not only apply to the relationship of a dog and a dog-owner, it can also apply to the relationship between a parent and a child and lovers.

Treasure your loved ones today….. do not wait till its too late!

No comments :

Total Pageviews