Skip to main content

Labour Day

Today is Labour Day, a day to celebrate the hard work that every employee has put in, in his daily work. I would like to extend the celebration of Labour Day to each and every member of our (you and my) families who has provided us emotional support and the conditions which enable each of us, employee to focus on our work. Labour Day is hence also a day to recognize the efforts of our homemakers, mothers and parents who help to make the working of their employee husbands or children a lot more easier.

This year's Labour Day falls on a Saturday and I hope all employers would enable their employees to clear this holiday on a later date.

While we celebrate Labour Day, I only have this wish for employers that is to rid all sorts of office politics, favoritism, biases of bosses in the workplace as such a mood is debilitating to productivity. Having a boss who favours boot-lickers and penalizes employees who are more hardworking and capable is definitely detrimental to the organization. Having big bosses who engages in favoritism can only force even the most capable and unfavored employee to leave. Ultimately, employee don't leave bad companies, they leave bad bosses! I truly detest bosses who engages in favoritism and are interested only in bootlickers. I detest too colleagues who engage, plot and execute office politics everyday to harm capable colleagues as I have expereienced all these bad examples of management personally.

Okay, enough of this rambling. I would just like to share the Labour Days I have spent in previous years.

2 years ago, I went on my first date with my current wife at Pasir Ris Park! We took many interesting photos together and to tell you, the first date with someone you love is truly a very memorable and amazing one and the photo of us together taken by ourselves is encapsulated in a photo which I put in my wallet till today!

How time passes, two years down the road, I have lost half of my hair but my dear one does not mind my hair loss fact as she loves me very much just as I love her.

I also recall the Labour Days some tens of years back. In two consecutive Labour Days, I was 'lucky' enough to be chosen for guard duty at my Army camp during National Service. When you are a full-time national serviceman, combat fit and active, every weekend and public holiday is much cherished and coveted, hence it is truly a 'demoralizing affair' to spend a public holiday doing patrolling around the camp. I have then thought that I have did justification to the day "Labour Day" as indeed I was expending every ounce of my strength and effort patrolling the camp.

These are some of my reflections of Labour Day. With the arrival of Labour Day, Year 2010 enters into the fifth month. Time always passes so fast, it seems to leave little time for me to pursue my goals, hence on this note, it is time for me to do some thing constructive (aside from my regularly posting on this blog) and I wish you a Happy Labour Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vernon Leong Jun Wei

What happens to the 31 year old bride groom, Vernon Leong Jun Wei? As the news of this latest unnatural and bizzare death developed, it seemed that Vernon did not jump from the 24th storey of Hilton Hotel as was believed earlier. There were 3 video camera footages which might prove otherwises for the cause of Vernon's death. The first video footage showed Vernon at the 24th storey, making his way hurriedly into the fire escape staircase. The next video footage showed Vernon at the 2nd storey which also holds some shops and the final footage showed an unconscious Vernon motionless at the ground of the hotel. Vernon was cladded casually in a T-shirt and pants and have left his hotel room while his wife was taking a shower. It seemed that he might be escaping from something or somebody or that he might be chasing after something or somebody. What did Vernon see and experience at his last moments? The police is still investigating the case. It is really a very tragical and sad

Kampong Lorong Buangkok

Amidst the blazing afternoon sun today, my Dear and I made our way to Kampong Lorong Buangkok. The visit was a timely one as there is such a high buzz being generated over the last kampong in modern Singapore. After alighting from Bus 854 from Eunos, it was not difficult to find our way to the kampong. The entrance of the kampong was distinct as you could see from the picture: the 'ulu-ness' (rural charm) is evident from the attap-roofed buildings and more unkempt conditions. A signboard with hand-written text welcome my Dear and I to the last kampong in Singapore: As we entered the kampong, I spotted a middle-aged woman talking to an old man. I had seen the old woman before on TV. She was none other than the owner of the kampong land. In the documentary, I learnt that the whole kampong land was passed to her by her late father. She has kept the land and have not gone on to sell the land to the government. If she were to sell the land, she would be an instant multi-millionair

Performance Bonus

It is the time of the year civil servants receive their performance bonuses (PBs). In the coming two weeks, civil servants will not only receive their performance bonuses, special ‘growth bonuses’, would also await them for the very first time. These PBs and growth bonuses are only applicable to performers, defined as officers with assessed performance gradings above the ‘D’ grade. Typically, civil servants receive their performance bonuses in March, a 0.5 month of bonus in July and a 13th month plus AVC in December. Are all the bonuses good? To be frank, the bonuses dished out in Civil Service are averages at best. With the various bonuses being given out in these months: July, December and March, a civil servant who would like to quit would most likely try to find a ‘suitable’ month to quit so as not to forfeit his bonuses. The December bonus is generally the most generous portion. To quantify for this bonus, an officer would have to be in service till the end of January ne