Monday, February 15, 2010

Chinese New Year Hawker Food

The past few days have been really flying and I have been sleeping late and busy visiting. Though Singapore is not too big, traversing from one end of the island to the other via public transport can take its toll on many, mentally and physically including me. All these late nights, busy preparations, smacking of unhealthy food can really make one unhealthy!

Many hawkers were closed these two days during Chinese New Year and this is definitely understandable as stall owners still need a day or two to spend Chinese New Year with their loved ones. As I passed Bedok Food Centre interchange this evening after a busy day of visiting my relatives, I saw to my expectation many closed stalls but there were some stalls which were open for business.

I need some food to fill my empty stomach. Chicken rice? I saw a stall with an attractive signboard selling salad chicken rice. Mentioning that stall really boiled my nerves as the chicken rice was most expensive and the quality and quantity was the worst. Customer service was also horrible! I chose to eat laksa tonight at a stall which sold laksa and some fish ball noodles and located at the extreme end of the food centre nearest to the Bedok MRT station.

The stall holder actually increased the price of one bowl of laksa from $3 to $3.50 and the reason she gave was Chinese New Year. Alright, I thought and I ordered two bowls, one for me and one for my wife.

When she presented the bowls of laksa to me, I was shocked! The laksa was so dilute like plain water and the volume was so little! I asked her to add more laksa soup which she obliged but in the interim of doing so, she created some big fuss by shouting hysterically when she could not stop the fire in the fire stove in time. My wife and I had to endure our tastebuds to drink the terrible laksa soup and noodles!

Haiz, eating some rotten food and wasting money on Chinese New Year! I think those stalls doing well will afford to close shop during Chinese New Year leaving some stalls selling bad food to continue operating and affecting customers.

Visit Singapore Short Stories for more interesting reads NOW!

No comments :

Total Pageviews